The Right to Education Campaign at Birzeit University is calling on trade unions, education institutions, organizations, social and political movements and concerned individuals around the world to support the right to education in Palestine:
1. Affiliate to the Right to Education Campaign at Birzeit University through your union or organization. Please see our International Call for Action and suggested Motion of Affiliation.
2. Raise awareness about the issues facing Palestinian students under occupation using information and resources provided by the Right to Education Campaign.
3. Support the Right to Education Campaign's calls for international action against violations of the human right to education in the occupied Palestinian Territory.
4. Lobby your government to pressure the government of Israel to adhere to its legal obligations to end attacks on civilian infrastructure and to allow unimpeded access for all Palestinians to their educational institutions.
5. Establish connections with Palestinian universities, students and faculty, through solidarity links or academic exchange.
Affiliation to the Right to Education Campaign is a means of building an international coalition of organizations to collectively campaign in support of Palestinian students, teachers and educational institutions. Affiliating organizations will be kept in touch with bi-monthly news and campaign updates.
Watch this space for current campaign activities and also check Activism News to see what others are doing.
Our current international appeal is the Gaza Students Campaign. Please join the international demand to bring back the four Birzeit University students who were illegally deported to Gaza in November 2004, and demand the right of all Palestinian students to study at any university in the West Bank and Gaza Strip in accordance with international law.
IDEAS FOR CAMPAIGN ACTIVITIES: HOW TO SUPPORT THE RIGHT TO EDUCATION CAMPAIGN
1. Affiliate to the Right to Education Campaign through your union or organization. Please email email@example.com for details.
2. Subscribe to the bi-monthly Right to Education Bulletin and receive alerts for international campaigning actions, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.
3. Raise awareness by organizing events in your university or organization. Here are just a few ideas:
a) Screen the Right to Education Campaign film, 'A Caged Bird's Song', which joins Palestinian students and teachers in their struggle to reach university and continue their education. The film is being shown at universities, cinemas and film festivals worldwide. You can order your copy from http://palestineonlinestore.com
b) Host the Right to Education Photography Exhibition by Palestinian student photographers, coordinated by Birzeit University Photography Unit in connection with the Heinrich Boll Foundation. Please email email@example.com for details.
c) Organize an action on campus. For example, set up a mock 'checkpoint' or 'wall' stopping students and faculty on their way to classes, asking to see their student and staff IDs and raising awareness about the issues facing Palestinian students under occupation.
d) If you are a student group, set up a correspondence with Birzeit University students, through email, instant messenger and video conferences.
4. Organize a delegation to visit Birzeit University and other universities and educational organizations in Palestine, or help to organize a delegation of Palestinian students and faculty to come on a speaking tour to universities and organizations in your country.
5. Support a student at Birzeit University through a Seeds of Hope Scholarship.
6. Join or launch campus divestment and sanction campaigns against Israeli state institutions until Israel stops its grave violations of international humanitarian law.
7. Please feel free to disseminate material from this website and if you maintain a website, consider syndicating headlines from our site onto your site.
The Right to Education Campaign was set up by Birzeit University to reach out to academics, students and campaigners worldwide to support the right to education in Palestine.
Activism News: CALL TO ACTION: Right to Education International Week of Action - 15th-22nd November 2010 (14 September 2010)
Studies & Research: R2E Fact Sheet (30 April 2009)
In The Media: Israel makes meeting another Arab a crime (23 September 2010)
Activism News: Shortage of classrooms lead to a sharp increase in dropout rate among Palestinian students in Jerusalem (21 September 2010)
Closure of Educational Institutions: Children in Gaza attend school in shipping containers (21 September 2010)
Activism News: Over 500 Academics Have Endorsed the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (20 September 2010)
Closure of Educational Institutions: Due to Gaza closure, 40,000 students refused from UNRWA schools (15 September 2010)